Next to the amazing Piazza del Campidoglio, designed by Michelangelo Buonarroti, there is a public museum more ‘old world (1471), commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere, the same who gave previously commissioned Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican.

Already with Pope Sixtus IV, many works have been moved from the Vatican or the Quirinal to the new museum, such as the [sg_popup id=”10″]Capitoline SheWolf[/sg_popup] or Marcus Aurelius (a copy of which is in the square outside), but, as a result of excavations and acquisitions the collection has become one of the most important of Rome and the world, which includes Roman sculptures, Egyptian, Bernini, paintings by Guido Reni, Caravaggio, Carracci, Guercino, Rubens, Pietro da Cortona, etc ..
See the whole collection from the website of the Institutional Musei Capitolini

[nggallery id=”16″]